Assignment two: Deconstruction/construction

The aim of this assignment was to deconstruct a chair or coffee table and create a new sculptural form from its component parts through the manipulation and re-composition of its elements by producing drawings, developmental work and reconstruction.

I can’t say that this assignment filled me with enthusiasm at all, but I obtained a wooden chair with a damaged seat and started with some drawings:

Chair1 Chair2 Chair3

It took quite a while to come up with any ideas for this, the only element of the chair which held any interest for me was the broken seat. Once I focussed on that area, an idea took hold of objects smashing into this area as a target:

Chair5

The chair was cut up into its component parts and first of all the ‘target’ was assembled:

P1040421 P1040422 P1040425

A few colours were tested out in Photoshop:

Frame blue Frame brown Frame greenblue Frame grey Frame red

Grey looked like the best option, so I went with this.

Then it was on to the pieces coming towards the target. Options were to cut or roughly break the pieces.

Chair4

I dismissed the latter as there were insufficient pieces to work with (especially which had any length), so I went for cut pieces. The assignment required working with planes so my idea was to cut the remaining pieces into small rectangles which would regularise the pieces, then stick them together in twos or threes before painting them.

After doing this, I was left with a few pieces of the chair, but most were used.

Leftovers

Leftovers

Whilst I was doing this, I needed an area to set up my installation, so I painted the corner of a room white to display this:

P1040423 P1040424

I glued the pieces of wood together and painted them a dark blue colour, holes were then drilled through them to take the wire I planned to hang them from.

I secured the back of the ‘target’ to a piece of wood placed under my bench (otherwise the wires would pull the sculpture forwards when tensed).

P1040474

Then I assembled the piece using eye’s screwed into the wood under the target and piece screwed to the wall, then wire attached to these. The wire was balled together underneath the individual falling pieces to prevent them from moving.

This entry was posted in Assignment 2. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *